Samsung Galaxy S8 is the 2017 flagship smartphone from Samsung and it was launched in March 2017. The smartphone is built to be sleek with great designs, amazing cameras, quick charging technology, ultra-fast processor and also water proof ability.
Just like its predecessors, the Samsung Galaxy S8 features a similar design but Samsung employed a new design but not too different from the other Samsung galaxy phones outlook. The samsung S8 smartphone comes with a dimension of 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm / 5.86 x 2.68 x 0.31 inches and body weight of about 155 g / 5.47 oz.
The device comes with a 5.8 inches Super AMOLED capacitive touch screen with a screen to body ratio of about 83.6% and a screen resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Price in Nigeria
The Samsung S8 smartphone is now available in Nigeria and you can buy the Samsung Galaxy S8 at leading online and offline phone stores in Nigeria. Samsung Galaxy S8 Price in Nigeria starts from around 98,000 Naira to 250,000 Naira depending on your location, available phone deals and storage capacity in Nigeria.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Key Features
- 8-inch Super AMOLED Display, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570ppi)
- Octa-core 10nm-class chipset (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- Bixby Intelligent Digital Assistant with dedicated launch button
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) with 4GB RAM
- Body weight: 155g
- Dimension: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm / 5.86 x 2.68 x 0.31 inches.
- 64GB Storage with support for memory card up to 256GB
- 12MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear), Iris Scan, Face Unlock
- Gigabit LTE (up to 1024 Mbps download)
- 3000 mAh Battery with Fast Charging
- Colours: Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Maple Gold Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver.
- Other features: Iris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, Sp02.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Reviews
Design and Display
The Samsung Galaxy S8 features a glass and metallic design and the front and back of the smartphone is covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The fingerprint scanner is seated at the back of the device no longer in the front as with the other Samsung smartphones as the home button has now been removed.
As the home button has been removed, it creates enough space for the screen size to be bigger making the phone comfortable to handle. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is almost bezeless and this has helped a great deal in making the device more compact. The smartphone comes with a brilliant 5.8-inch Super AMOLED display which offers a resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels.
This display is covered in curved Corning Gorilla Glass 5. With the physical home button in the front gone, the Samsung Galaxy S8 sports an onscreen home button with haptic feedback. Samsung Galaxy S8 sports a USB Type C port and a 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom side of the phone and on the right side of the phone, you have the power button, which will also launch the camera if you double click it.
On the left side, the Samsung Galaxy S8 features the volume button, below this volume button is where the button for Samsung’s new intelligent digital assistant called Bixby is found. The smartphone is IP8 rated that is, the smartphone can stay under water of 1.5 metre for about 30 minutes without getting spoilt. The Samsung S8 smartphone is available in various color options of Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Maple Gold Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 maintains a single 12 megapixels camera at the back not the normal dual cameras. This rear camera although single, still features the Optical Image Stabilisation. The front camera comes with a 5 megapixels camera to an 8 megapixels camera. The camera is also adding autofocus as well as HDR.
The Samsung S8 comes with a battery capacity of 3000mAh non-removable battery. The powerefficient chipset in the device helps the Galaxy S8 to perform outstandingly. The smartphone make sure to deliver up to 20 hours of usuage after a single charge.
In addition, the Galaxy S8 comes with the fast charging technology as well as the wireless charging feature. The fast charging can move your battery percentage from 0% to 30% in just about 15 minutes and the device can charge from 0% to 100% in about 80 minutes.
However, as a caveat, the amount of hours you can get out of your device depends on several factors like screen brightness, so you might want to lower your screen brightness or just set it to auto-brightness mode for the charging to be efficient.
Performance and Connectivity
Samsung Galaxy S8 offers an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or an octa-core Samsung Exynos chipset. Both of which are 10nm chips and they are both more energy efficient. Samsung Galaxy S8 comes with 4GB RAM and 64GB built-in memory storage, which can be expanded up to 256GB with the use of a microSD memory card which the device supports.
Samsung Galaxy S8 offers Gigabit LTE and this means the smartphone has support for up to 1024 Mbps downloads speeds once operators build the network capacity. The smartphone supports the 4G LTE network. All major LTE networks in Nigeria are supported including Glo Mobile, MTN, Etisalat, NTel, Smile, and InterC.
The Android phone offers Bluetooth v5.0, USB Type C (USB 3.1), dual-band Wi-Fi, wireless charging, and NFC. Samsung Galaxy S8 also features face unlock, which is very easy and fast for unlocking your phone. However, to perform more sensitive tasks, the Android phablet will require iris scan or fingerprint sensor.
Samsung Galaxy S8 is loaded with Android 7.0 (Nougat) with the usual Samsung UI skin. The smartphone also comes with a new digital assistant called Bixby. Bixby will assist you in performing tasks via a voice command on your phone like editing photos or making a call.
The Bixby can also read QR codes, extract text from a label or document (OCR), and identify real world object via the camera and optical image recognition. When it extracts a foreign language, Bixby uses Google Translate to translate to your preferred language. Samsung Galaxy S8 provides a dedicated button on the left side for launching Bixby.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Specifications
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S8:
- Platform: Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Processor: US: Octa-core Processor: 2.35GHz quad-core and 1.9GHz quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835), EMEA: Octa-core Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core and 1.7GHz quad-core (Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- GPU: Adreno 540 (Qualcomm)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Dimension: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm
- Weight: 155g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 5.8-inch Super AMOLED, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570 ppi), 18.5:9 Aspect Ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 4K Ultra HD 2160p Video 1080p @30fps
- Rear Camera Features: Phase Detection Autofocus, LED flash, OIS, Auto HDR, Geo-tagging, Touch Focus, Face/Smile Detection, Panorama, Slo Motion, Hyperlapse
- Front Camera: 8MP Camera, autofocus, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (requires SIM2 slot for dual-SIM models)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42.2 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 1024 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear)
- Iris Scanner: Yes
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Bixby, Google Now, etc
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (Qi/PMA)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Samsung Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes, survives in up to 1.5 metre of water for up to 30 minutes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-ion Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: up to 20 hours
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes